Published in the May 09, 2012 issue
Fishing report: Cold weather dampens start of fluke season
Lou Rodia on Fishing
Cold weather dampened Saturday’s fluke season opener but keeper fluke were caught in the back bays. Fluke were also showing in Delaware Bay. Stripers were caught on the beach and around local jetties. Black drum action is picking up in Delaware Bay. Party boats are adding night trips for drum. Check boats for schedule changes and target fish.
Lady Mustangs in playoff contention after beating EHT 16-14
Egg Harbor Township —
After falling twice to Egg Harbor Township last season, Mainland girls lacrosse beat the Lady Eagles 16-14 on Friday, May 4, in a competitive game that earned the Lady Mustangs a spot in the playoffs.
Mainland baseball beats Holy Spirit, Millville
Max Bell on the mound for both victories
Holy Spirit’s Chris Scarlett was having a K-day on the mound against Mainland Thursday, May 3, but the Mustangs put together good offensive strings and a tough defensive effort to topple the Spartans, 5-1.
Mainland Regional varsity 4 girls boat wins at Philadelphia City Championships
They are following up a state title at the Garden State Scholastic Championship
PHILADELPHIA – The Mainland girls varsity four finished first in the finals at Philadelphia’s City Championship Regatta with a five-second open water lead.
Ocean City baseball now 11-5 with victories over LCMR, Sacred Heart
Ocean City —
A 5-run second inning paved the way to victory for the Ocean City Red Raiders on Friday when the baseball squad hosted Lower Cape May Regional in a regular season rematch.
Ocean City boys make finals in Philadelphia City Championships
The Ocean City High School boys lightweight 8 boat finished fifth in the finals at the Philadelphia City Championships Sunday, May 6, with a time of 4:43.96. The Raiders manned the fastest boat from the Cape Atlantic League on the Schuylkill River Sunday. Fellow CAL team Oakcrest finished in sixth place. First place went to St. Joseph Prep with a winning time of 4:24.02, LaSalle was second and Moorestown third. Don Bosco was just a little ahead of the Raiders in the fourth place with a time of 4:41.07. Above is the lightweight 8 boat waiting to race the week before at the Garden State Scholastic Cup on the Cooper River in Pennsauken. From left are, in front, Jacob Newsome, Will Graham, Justin Goucher, Jordan Baker, Cory Raab; and, in back, Tom Klevinsky, Nick Matousch, Joseph Graham and Connor Brady. Next up are the Atlantic County Championships on Lake Lenape Sunday, May 13. For the Philadelphia City Championships May 6, Joe DiMarco and Pat Carr joined the boat.
OCHS girls in finals at Philadelphia City Championships
The Ocean City High School girls junior 8 finished in sixth place after making it to the finals Sunday, May 6, at the Philadelphia City Championships on the Schuylkill River. The only other CAL team to make the finals in the girls junior 8 race was Holy Spirit, which finished third. The Lady Raiders’ time was 5:46.86. Mount St. Joseph won the race in 5:12.14, Montclair was second, Holy Spirit third, St. Anthony’s fourth and Radnor fifth. The week before, the girls competed at the Garden State Scholastic Cup on the Cooper River in Pennsauken. The girls junior 8, pictured at the Garden State Cup race, includes, from left, Rachael Matousch, Maddie Szabo, Ashlyn Roze, Hayley Williams, Jen Campbell, Michaela Caroccio, Samantha Dallett, Susie Baumgardner, Katherine Delgrande. Next up are the Atlantic County Championships on Lake Lenape Sunday, May 13.
The Extramural Sport
By DAVID FRENCH
Matt Bosch (OCHS 2012) has committed to Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pa. He scored 1,163 points with 30 3-pointers and 603 rebounds
There of plenty of reasons why we go fishing
Lou Rodia on Fishing
Everyone who fishes had to get started somewhere. Someone was their fishing mentor who took us fishing for the first time. It might have been a family member or the neighbor next door, but we all started somewhere. How or when we started fishing might have depended on where we lived, who our friends were and opportunities afforded us.
Ties are order of the day in Brambley Golf Tournament
By THE HANDICAPPER II
OCEAN CITY – It was a great day for golf on Monday, May 7, as 20 golfers enjoyed the facilities at the Ocean City Municipal Golf
Tougher day for the Mainland Regional boys crew
PHILADELPHIA – One hour away from Mainland’s boathouse, at the City Championship Regatta on Sunday, May 6, the Mustang crews struggled in their first face-off with many Philadelphia-area schools and season-long Atlantic County competitors Egg Harbor Township and St. Augustine.
- Raider boys crew competes in Garden State Championship (05/01/13)
- OCHS grad Kayla Noll on Washington College crew (05/01/13)
- Ocean City senior golfers get ready in preseason tournament (05/01/13)
- Mustang tennis defeats Ocean City for second time, improves to 9-0 (05/01/13, Linwood)
- Mainland girls lacrosse gets lead early, holds off Ocean City (05/01/13, Linwood)
- Mainland boys crew gets four boats into Garden State finals (05/01/13)
- Lady Mustang senior 4 wins Garden State crew title (05/01/13)
- Fishing report: Light tackle for stripers in back bays started Sunday (05/01/13)
- Doing it all for fishermen in a post-stamp-sized office (05/01/13)
- Challenges ahead, but Lady Raider crew is building toward the future (05/01/13)
- Upcoming Sports Events (04/24/13)
- Senior golf league watches 30 tee off on April 16 (04/24/13)
- Renew or apply now for Salt Water Recreation Registry (04/24/13)
- Raiders win four straight games after narrow defeat to St. Joseph's (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Raiders face Mainland (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Raider lacrosse gets early lead to defeat Mustangs, 8-4 (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Raider Kyle Andrews pitches 13-0 shutout against Mainland (04/24/13, Linwood)
- Ocean City senior golfers have preseason tournament (04/24/13)
- Ocean City High School repeats as surf champions (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Mustang baseball still searching for the right mix (04/24/13, Linwood)
Browse through photos of the news and events from your world