Published in the May 23, 2012 issue
Albright, Williams win CAL titles in pole vault, javelin
Egg Harbor Township —
Ocean City’s boys javelin and pole vaulters had strong performances in last Thursday’s 2012 Cape Atlantic League Track and Field Championships.
Fishing report: Keeper ratio improving
Lou Rodia on Fishing
Windy weather slowed fishing for several days, but anglers who persevered caught fish. The ratio of keepers has picked up. Striped bass were caught in the surf. Kingfish are hitting bloodworms in the surf. Small blues showed in the inlets. Black drum were caught on both sides of the bay.
Lady Mustang softball goal was to improve upon last season
Mainland’s girls softball team struggled, but battled this season.
As in many of the Lady Mustang games, the effort and never-say-die attitude have translated
Mainland golf's big turnaround
A year after breaking in a brand new squad, MRHS makes it to the state finals
Mainland’s varsity co-ed golf team bounced back from a losing 8-9 record and the loss of 11 of their top 13 players in 2011 to make it to this season’s NJSIAA 2012 State Championship Golf Finals qualifiers.
Mustang lacrosse beats Absegami on improbable goal at end of game
A goal scored in mid-air in the final 10 seconds of a Wednesday, May 16, boys varsity lacrosse game, was Mainland’s game changer.
Ocean City Senior Golf: handicap system levels playing field
By CHUCK BARRY
MAYS LANDING – There is a lot to be said about the handicap system in golf, which allows a lesser skilled player to match up with someone
Raider baseball is peaking just in time for playoffs
Ocean City —
A Mike Wray RBI single in the eighth inning paved the way to victory for the Red Raiders as they took down Oakcrest 6-5 on Thursday in the extra inning.
Rain dampens Brambley golf this week; last week solid with five sub-par rounds
THE HANDICAPPER II
OCEAN CITY – It was a cloudy, wet day for golf on Monday, May 14, as 13 golfers played the facilities at the Ocean City Municipal
The Extramural Sport
By DAVID FRENCH
The Ocean City Recreation Department’s Wm. Nickles Sr. Men’s Summer ASA League Slow-pitch Softball got under way last week with two-time
Tracey Masterson breaks records in pole vault at CAL meet
Egg Harbor Township —
It was a day of record breaking and record-hopefuls for Mainland at the 2012 Cape Atlantic League Championships on Thursday, May 17, at Egg Harbor Township High School.
What memories are made of
Lou Rodia on Fishing
Anglers have their own way of remembering those exciting adventures that attract them to the sport. For some, it is an accumulation of events logged into a lifetime memory bank that is triggered by recall. For others, it’s photo albums, videos or snapshots taken on the cell phone. Fishing diaries work. Mounted fish on the wall are another reminder of a big one that did not get away.
- Raider boys crew competes in Garden State Championship (05/01/13)
- OCHS grad Kayla Noll on Washington College crew (05/01/13)
- Ocean City senior golfers get ready in preseason tournament (05/01/13)
- Mustang tennis defeats Ocean City for second time, improves to 9-0 (05/01/13, Linwood)
- Mainland girls lacrosse gets lead early, holds off Ocean City (05/01/13, Linwood)
- Mainland boys crew gets four boats into Garden State finals (05/01/13)
- Lady Mustang senior 4 wins Garden State crew title (05/01/13)
- Fishing report: Light tackle for stripers in back bays started Sunday (05/01/13)
- Doing it all for fishermen in a post-stamp-sized office (05/01/13)
- Challenges ahead, but Lady Raider crew is building toward the future (05/01/13)
- Upcoming Sports Events (04/24/13)
- Senior golf league watches 30 tee off on April 16 (04/24/13)
- Renew or apply now for Salt Water Recreation Registry (04/24/13)
- Raiders win four straight games after narrow defeat to St. Joseph's (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Raiders face Mainland (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Raider lacrosse gets early lead to defeat Mustangs, 8-4 (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Raider Kyle Andrews pitches 13-0 shutout against Mainland (04/24/13, Linwood)
- Ocean City senior golfers have preseason tournament (04/24/13)
- Ocean City High School repeats as surf champions (04/24/13, Ocean City)
- Mustang baseball still searching for the right mix (04/24/13, Linwood)
Browse through photos of the news and events from your world